How dog breeders have “improved” breeds over the past 100 years.
- The basset hound never used to sit so low. The dog has suffered changes to his rear leg structure, has excessive skin, vertebrae problems, droopy eyes that are prone to ectropion and entropion, and excessively large ears.
- The bull terrier used to be an athletic dog, but over the years his snout was mutated to be oversized and bending downwards, leading to respiratory issues. Many bull terriers have supernumerary teeth and are compulsive tail chasers and air biters owing to brain deformities.
- The boxer now has a much shorter face with an extremely short snout. The hindquarters are also lower. Like all brachycephalic dogs, the boxer has difficulty controlling his temperature in hot weather, meaning they are prone to overheating and collapsing in the summer. The boxer also has one of the highest cancer rates among dog breeds and many modern day boxers suffer from seizures.
- The english bulldog has evolved into a creature that suffers from almost every known disease. A kennel club survey conducted in 2004 found that they die on average at only 6 years and 4 months old. They cannot mate without human intervention, and cannot give birth naturally due to their giant heads. There is no such thing as a truly healthy bulldog.
- The dachshund, at one time, used to have functional legs and necks for their size. Their backs and legs have gotten longer, chest jutted forward, and legs have shrunk to such proportions that there is barely any clearance between their chest and the floor. Obese dachshunds usually have to actually drag their bellies across the ground. Their risk for intervertebral disc disease - which can result in paralysis - is extremely high. They are also prone to achrondoplastic related pathologies, progressive retinal apathy, and problems with their legs and joints.
- Pugs are the most inbred breed of dog in existence - an investigation carried out found that amongst the 10,000 pugs found in the UK are so inbred, the gene pool consists of the equivalent of only 50 individuals. They are extremely brachycephalic, and suffer severely from all the associated problems - the folds in their face frequently get infected, they struggle to breathe (making snoring/snorting/huffing noises even without moving), they have high blood pressure, low oxygenation, often collapse and die in the summer or if allowed to overheat, dentition problems due to their skulls being so curled in, and perhaps most shocking - their double curled tail is actually a genetic defect, and in its most serious forms leads to paralysis and many dogs needed a wheelchair or being euthanised if this progresses. These dogs are usually culled if they fail to produce this ‘attractive’ trait.
Healthy puppies that do not succumb to these ridiculous modern day breed standards are usually culled. One very heartbreaking example is the rhodesian ridgeback. The ridge is actually a genetic deformity - a mild form of spinal bifida - and puppies born without this ridge are healthy - but since the ridge is their namesake, healthy puppies are normally culled at birth and only those with noticeable ridges are bred from, thus passing the disability down to future dogs. Below is a ridgeback alongside a healthy, ridgeless dog.
3 to 4 million dogs and cats are killed every year because shelters are too full…. people are choosing to buy from breeders or shops instead of offering them a home.
Homeless animals outnumber homeless people by 5:1.
Only 1 in 10 dogs will ever find a permanent home.
25 PER CENT OF DOGS THAT ENTER SHELTERS ARE PUREBREEDS.
Please consider adopting a homeless dog. Please don’t encourage breeding these animals when there are so many being killed every year. Breeding is a profit, not “just” a hobby, and even if you think your breeder is reputable, they are still churning out puppies into a world where pets are seen as disposable.
In which people on the internet compare being black to being a child molester and a murderer
i am seriously SO SICK of seeing vegetarian/vegan elitists posts on my dash about how if you eat meat you’re against animal rights
i only eat meat of animals that i or farmers i know raise
i am reducing my food miles and supporting the local economy as well as…
I don’t understand how you can murder someone for their flesh just because you like the taste and still claim to love them. I really don’t get it.
Marineland of Canada, an infamous captive animal facility has sued 3 of 15 whistleblowers for disclosing animal abuse at the park. Help us ensure their justice!
my dad donated fifty bucks to this cause. please reblog and donate!
I am just not feelin’ the way my butt and thighs look in my nude selfies. I had no idea I looked like that from behind. :( total mood killer.
Guess it’s time to get serious about toning up.
Those things are to be commended, they really are. What you are doing is truly wonderful and I hope you keep it up. But those things only prove you love specific animals. You may dedicate almost 100% of your time to them, but you cannot claim to love animals while using the remaining 1% to sit down in the evenings and tuck into the flesh of a creature who lived and died in absolute agony. The two positions are wholly incompatible. If I engage in racist behaviour, while also supporting black rights groups, I am still a racist. Your behaviour makes it true that you are speciesist, regardless of what else you do. You cannot love animals while directly contributing to the enslavement and murder of 56 billion of them. It would seem that like so many others, you would “do anything for animals,” except stop eating them.
I suspect that like most people, you have not truly applied your philosophy on life and your ethical stance to your dietary habits. I admire you for the work you do and can only urge you to reflect on what you eat and whether or not it is compatible with your outlook on life.
Lulu and Sir Francis Bacon
TWO OF MY FAVORITE BEINGS
And lets not pretend the Vegen movement isnt about priviledge.
because it is.
it TOTALLY is.
on so many levels. ableist, wealth. etc.
because if it wasnt, these white people with dreadful locs would be out here trying to educate people about it en mass…
sign me right the fuck up